The State Revenue Office of Victoria has information to help assess if you are eligible for the First Home Owner Grants. Visit https://www.sro.vic.gov.au/first-home-owner.
To be eligible for the FHOG, you must adhere to certain criteria:
You will qualify when one applicant:
- occupies the home as their principal place of residence (PPR) for at least 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction.
- is aged 18 or over (discretionary).
- is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the date on which the applicant/s become entitled to possession of the home under the contract, which generally occurs on the date of settlement.
People not entitled to the FHOG are those where either person on a loan has previously:
- received a first-home owner grant in Australia.
- owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either jointly or separately, before 1 July 2000.
- Occupied a home for a continuous period of at least six months, a home which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000 in Australia.